More than 15 million adults and their immediate families in America today must cope with a patient suffering from severe mental illness. In too many cases, these families cannot or do not know how to get help for their loved ones.
SANDY’S GIFT: WALKING WITH THE LIGHT (Cedar Forge, 2017, softcover) by William P. Dunn IV is an intimate and shocking true story that tells of the tragic plight of Sandra Dunn, a mother and loving wife whose life takes a tragic turn when she suddenly falls victim to severe mental illness; how the healthcare profession and the law prevented her from getting the treatment she needed; how it destroyed her family and nearly got them killed. By sharing his story, Dunn hopes that people will have a better understanding of the ravages of mental illness and know how to cope with them better.
1. What made you write Sandy’s Gift?
2. What was your most fearful moment in your ordeal?
3. Who is most to blame for failing to get your wife the medical attention she so urgently needed?
4. How did the children handle this horrible tragedy?
5. Do you have another book in the works?
1) At first, I was extremely angry and my thought was to take revenge against the so-called public servants of New Jersey for the hell they had made for my family and me. But after a chance meeting in 2008 with a medium, my thoughts changed because of a certain events subsequent to that meeting.
Now I believe if by sharing my story perhaps other families may be spared the pain and grief the we had to endure, then perhaps the world will be a better place.
2) That last month, November 2006, everything was completely out of control. Nothing was working. Sandy was non compliant and refused to do out-patient therapy, to take her medications, and was just never where she needed to be. Worse, the kitchen knives were missing yet again just like before she was removed from her home.
4) I’d love to answer that question but I promised my daughters that I would not discuss their lives after this becomes public.
5) I do have another book in my head and have done some preliminary work. It’s needs to be on the back burner right now as I am rather busy for the next few months on a publicity tour for this book.
Based on a true story about the Author’s wife who has a mental illilness. This was a sad story for me to read. At times I had to put the book down to stop for a few minutes Bill did an excellent job on this story and raising awareness of mental illilness. He helpes his wife through just about everything and I admired him for doing that. A job well done.
William P. Dunn IV worked on Wall Street in the U.S. Government bond market where he worked his way up from the back office to the trading desks. After twenty years on Wall Street, he became a financial advisor in northern New Jersey. He continues to work as an investment advisor. He is a graduate of Thiel College where he earned a dual degree in Economics and Business Administration. Today he lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and is a proud grandfather.